Thursday, February 14, 2008

Here's the thing; political edition

I support Barack Obama. Not because he's a rock star and not because I've succumbed to the "cult of personality". I'm both an intellectual and emotional person. I tend to champion intellect first, while Tina does the same for emotion. We are diametrically balanced in that way: I think there's maybe too much emotion and not enough intellect in the process at large, while Tina thinks the opposite.* We're both right.

I support Barack Obama because he inspires me. He's seems to inspire a lot of people to give in to the better aspects of their political natures. That is a powerful thing. He is intellectual and emotional, and a little hip and cool. I expect policy wonky-ness from my senators and representatives. I have scrutinized proposed legislation, and written emails, and asked where my congress-folk stand and intend to vote, and demanded changes in language, etc. But I want my president to lead, and I like the direction Obama seems intent on taking us. I want a president who can inspire (I know, again) the country to move in a new direction. That's what I want.

*any gross mischaracterizations of Tina's positions are wholly my own.

1 comment:

Tina Rowley said...

Ah, dude, there only be a tiny mischaracterization. I wouldn't at all say that there's too much intellect in the political process. That sounds like a great problem, and one we don't have. Ain't no such thing as too many brains in that scene.

I'd say this: when I was taking one particular acting class, we were discussing the relative merits of "inside-out" versus "outside-in" technique, the former grounded more in the internal experience of the actor and the latter grounded in the outer appearance of the character. The teacher made a great point. She said, essentially, that neither inside-out nor outside-in is better than the other as long as you make the whole trip.

That's my view in a nutshell regarding politics. You gotta bring the inspiration all the way to the wonk, and the wonk all the way to the inspiration.

We want the same thing. And right now it's looking pretty damn good.