Sunday, June 11, 2006

Oh, sheet.

This time the gap in posting is not my fault. I tried to log onto Blogger several times a day, every day last week and couldn't get in. Don't ask me.

I think Linus has reached that 72 word threshold. Apparently, toddlers slowly acquire one word at a time until they reach a 72 words (or maybe 83, or 67. I'm making these numbers up, alright?! It's something in that neighborhood.), which is some kind of magic threshold, and then they start acquiring dozens of words every minute! Or, something vaguely similar to that. Anyway, his vocabulary is suddenly expanding rapidly. He only has to hear a word once and it's his. Which, is awesome, but also means that I gotta watch my mouth. He knocked over his water the other day and I said,

"Oh, shit."

To which he responded,

"Oh, sheet."

Now he says it all the time. He gets the context right. If something unexpected happens he exclaims,

"Oh, sheet!"

But, he will also just wander around muttering to himself,

"Oh, sheet. Oh, sheet. Oh, sheet."

like he's got a lot on his To Do list and not enough time.

On a totally different subject - my body is trying to trick me into getting pregnant! I find myself lately getting this surge in my sex drive just as I'm ovulating. I'll be at my office winding things down at the end of the day and I'll find myself thinking, Man! I hope the baby's napping and Orion's ready when I get home because I could really get on the train to Minneapolis*! -looks at calendar- Wait a minute! I'm ovulating!

Now that's fine. It's not that I won't have sex if I'm ovulating or something, but it's more insidious than that. We'll be in bed or some place and I'll be thinking, Hmmm, sex! But then I'll realize that we're, say, out of condoms. Rats! Weeeeell, maybe we could do without just this one time. -glances at calendar- Wait a minute! I'm ovulating! DAMN YOU EVOLUTION!!

Oh, sheet indeed!

(*don't ask me, talk to Orion about that euphemism for sex. I can't remember all the details now, but it was something like, many years ago we were making out but then I decided I didn't want to go any further, much to Orion's disappointment, and he says, "Don't get on the train if you don't want to go to Minneapolis!" Hah! We've been using it ever since.)

No comments: