Monday, November 21, 2005

Shut your pie hole!

Want to know what's peeving me today? People who make noises with their mouths other than vocal. Mostly I'm talking about gum chomping, but also drink slurping. I just came out of a staff meeting. What was it about? Yeah, I don't know, 'cause the guy next to me was making so much friggin' noise I couldn't hear or concentrate on what was being said! This is how it went,

"The research foc*chomp*chomp*squish*chomp*sluuurp*what we want*swish*sluuuuurp*chomp*squish*chomp* best methods *snarg*chomp*!!"

Eeeeew!
Naaaasty! Seriously, for an hour and a half! How do you make that much noise with just one piece of gum and a cup of tea?! Two days ago I took Linus to the library and ran into a similar problem. We're sitting there at one of the toddler tables scribbling away on a squirrel picture when another kid, Zeke, and his mom join us. Zeke's mom is working over a piece of gum so loudly, vigorously, and publicly, that I had to get up and leave. That's right - two toddler boys with their runny noses, drooly faces, god-knows-what-encrusted hands, and poopy britches, and it's the grown lady icking me out.

What's the deal?! Don't get me wrong, I like gum. No, I LOVE gum. I chew gum all day long, every day. If it wasn't for gum, I'd probably smoke a pipe, or gnaw on pencils. I appreciate the desire, Nay! the NEED, to chew gum. But I know how to keep my mouth shut. I bet no one around me is aware I'm even chewing gum, let alone annoyed by it. And, I have manners. Mostly.

So, quit it! Quit grossing me out and quit giving gum chewers a bad name!

2 comments:

Eve said...

AMEN TO THAT! (And those are the same people who sneeze without covering their mouths.)
It just makes me want to stick some gum in their hair as I walk by.

Kris McN said...

Hahahahahaha!