Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Crunchy segments

Here's something you should try, if you haven't already. Take one of those little satsumas, or madarins, or clementines - you know, those little oranges you get by the crate this time of year - peel it, separate the segments and arrange them so that they're not touching each other, and let them sit for about an hour or so. Now it's ready to eat! If you do this, the outside of each segment will dry out and become just a little crunchy. When you bite into it, you'll get this satisfying *pop* and then the sweet juicy goodness fills your mouth. I discovered how nice clementines are this way because Linus often asks for them (he has a sign for them - twisting a fist), but once you peel it and separate the segments for him, he'll eat a couple and then get distracted and wander off. Not wanting them to go to waste, I'll eventually eat whatever's left.
I admitted to Orionjob that I'd started leaving my clementine segments out before eating them when I'm at work and he says, "Yeah! They get all crunchy! It's nice!". He discovered it the same way I did. Toddler cuisine.

No comments: