Thursday, June 19, 2008

How ridiculous am I?

Linus and I had the following conversation yesterday on our drive home from work/daycare:

Linus: Mommy? I have something to tell you.
Me: Ok.
Linus: If you shoot a rhinoceros it won't die because it's so tough.
Me: Really? Who told you that?
Linus: Isaac.
Me: I don't think that's true, honey.
Linus: IT IS TRUE!
Me: It might be true in certain situations, but I think in general, if you shoot a rhinoceros, it will die.
Linus: NO IT WON'T!! ISAAC SAID!!
Me: Well, honey, I don't think Isaac knows that much about rhinoceroses.
Linus: HE DOES! ISAAC DOES KNOW!
Me: I don't think so, honey. I think I might know better than Isaac in this case.
Linus: NO! ISAAC KNOWS BETTER!
Me: How old is Isaac? 3?
Linus: Yes.
Me: Well, don't you think I might know more about rhinoceroses than he does?
Linus: NO! ISAAC KNOWS MORE ABOUT RHINOCEROSES!
Me: Really?
Linus: YES!
Me: Well, I have a Ph.D. in biology, what does Isaac have?
Linus: Nothin'!
Me: So, maybe I DO know more about rhinoceroses than Isaac.
Linus: NO! ISAAC KNOWS EVERYTHING!!
Me: I don't think he knows everything, honey.
Linus: HE DOES!! HE KNOWS EVERYTHING! ISAAC KNOWS EVERYTHING!!

So, yes, I actually tried to play the I've-got-a-Ph.D. card in an argument with a 3 year old. That's how ridiculous I am. And, how awesome of a parent.

'Who's this Isaac guy?' you might ask. 'He seems to know a lot, and he's held in high esteem by his peers. I'd like to meet him.' Well, this is the same jam-smeared kid that ran up to Linus this morning and yelled, "Hi, Poo-Poo-Ga-Ga-Go-Go Head!" Linus, of course, thought this was HIlarious.

No comments: