Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Why yes, I do have another child.

Here's picture proof:

I took this picture with my cell phone, so it's not the highest quality, but you get the idea. Sweet potatoes!! Luna started in daycare this morning. Half days to start. She's right next door, so I can go over and nurse every couple of hours, so in some ways it's better than having her at home with her dad. So far, so good, but now our monthly daycare bill is officially larger than our mortgage payment. I wish I was kidding. That's one of those things that until you have kids, you just don't get. Whenever you hear parents talking about how, along with health care and the war in Iraq, one of their top concerns is the lack of affordable, high-quality daycare. You're like, "Huh, wha? Bzzz, bzzz, bzzz, I like Survivor too. Hmmm, what's that?" Then you have kids and suddenly, "What the fuck?! Why is daycare so expensive?! Why is there only one good daycare in town, and it's got a 2 year waitlist?! Am I now dependent on the unlicensed daycare down the street run by what I'm pretty sure is a meth-head?!" I'm only exaggerating a little. A very little.

Fortunately for us, once we got Linus in, Luna Bee's considered a legacy, so she got bumped to the top of the waitlist. I think she's been a little starved for other baby company, so this will be good for her social development. It's one of those things where it's hard as a parent to let go of all aspects of her interactions with other people, but then she gets to have experiences beyond what we provide for her. I know she gets bored at home at times sitting in the same spots on the floor, or the couch, with the same old toys. She was completely fixated on the other babies crawling around this morning. I'm sure she'll be crawling in a week.

No comments: