Monday, December 12, 2005

Introductory material

It seems like there may be one or two people reading this journal on occassion who don't know me. So, I thought I'd kind of fill in some background information.

We (me, my husband, my son, our dog) just moved out to Oregon from Kansas. We moved so I could start a new job with a certain federal bureau charged with, um, guarding the, um, milieu. Let's call it the Milieu Guarding Bureau (MGB). I conduct research for this bureau. Scientific research. Not rocket science, mind you, biological science. Anyway, blah de blah, love my job. Love it! But, while I find it completely enthralling, most people don't. Not from lack of interest, really, more a lack of common ground. So, I don't/won't write about it much here. That's not a hard-and-fast rule or anything, I just find my family, especially Linus, to be much more amusing and journal-worthy.

My husband, Orionjob, a carpenter by trade, is currently a stay-at-home Dad. We probably can't afford for him to stay home long-term, but for now it's working, and it gives us a chance to figure out the local daycare scene. We may put Linus in part-time daycare after the first of the year. We'll see what we can find. I'm thrilled that Or and Linus get to spend so much time together. I imagine lots of napping and farting. Oh, don't get worked up! I know that staying at home with a toddler isn't all napping and farting and soap operas and bon-bons. I was home full time before we moved. I'm just saying...

We love Oregon. We're originally from Seattle, so it's nice to be back on the West Coast. Yeah, we liked living in Lawrence, Kansas well enough while we were there, but frankly, I'm just not cut out for that climate. And the bugs. There are a number of things I'm going to miss about Lawrence (Wheatfields, Sylas & Maddy's (Oh, Maddy's Mudd, how I will miss you. Come on! Coffee ice cream with Oreos, brownie pieces and a fudge swirl?! Shut up!). We left some good friends there (Hi, Brad!), and Linus will always be a Kansas native, but there's not much about physically being in Kansas that I'm going to miss. In fact, I checked the weather this weekend and saw they were expecting a high of 11. And, I'm sure there was a 20 mph wind to go with it. Nope, not for me.

Enough background, for now. I'll try to fill in more gaps in coming posts.

Linus has recently started making car noises. You know, "brrmm, brrmm"? He pushes around his little truck brrmm brrmm-ing all the way. I'm sure he must have seen some other kids doing this, because neither Or or I recall showing him. It's like he reach the Age of Car Knowledge and spontaneously started making the appropriate noises. Or, mostly appropriate. He'll also pulls his Keith Haring dog around and around, brrmm brrmm-ing as he goes. That's worth a good 20 minutes of non-stop, brrmm brrmm, circumambulation.

No comments: