Thursday, December 15, 2005

Talking about talking

Linus has started talking. He's been using sign language since he was about 10 months old, but I'm talking actual spoken words now.

By the way, I highly recommend the teaching of baby signs. Don't misunderstand, I'm not one of those flash-card wielding,must-maximize-every-possible-developmental-moment parents. No bellyphones piping Mozart into his fetal ears. I'm actually pretty lazy about that sort of thing. If it's not making my life easier as a parentin the here-and-now, he can figure it out the old fashion way; by hanging around people going on about their daily lives. I think of it as an evolutionary approach to parenting. And the baby signs fit right in with that philosophy. A happy baby is way easier to deal with than a frustrated, pissed-off baby, and I know Linus is happier for being able to tell us what he wants. He doesn't have a huge repertoire of signs, maybe 30, but he can tell us when he wants to eat and what he wants to eat (well, as long as he wants to eat one of about five things) and that goes a long way toward keeping him from getting all worked up becausehe wants something and we can't figure out what it is. In fact, lately he's been wanting to eat things we don't have signs for, and if he can't point to it, frustration and boo-hooing ensues. I need to make up a sign for noodles, and pizza. That would help.

But, I digress...talking! He's been saying, "Da" or "Dada" for his Dad for awhile now (though lately it's developed into "Dadee"), and "no" has been common for about 2 months. "No" apparently means "no", as well as,"I acknowledge that you're speaking to me", given how often we hear it. Just in the last couple of days he's added "more" (or "mo") and "boo"for book. He has no words for me yet (though he does have a sign), NOT that I'm taking that personally or anything (*grumble*, he's lucky he's so cute).

No comments: